St. Andrew’s Episcopal School in Potomac, Md., seeks a Head of Middle School (grades 6-8) for the 2020-2021 academic year. The Head of Middle School supervises and promotes the division’s supportive, inclusive, and positive culture and the well-being of Middle School faculty and staff, students, and families. This senior administrative position reports directly to the Head of School.
The mission of St. Andre’s Episcopal School is to know and inspire each child in an inclusive community dedicated to exceptional teaching, learning, and service. Founded in 1978, St. Andrew’s is a co-educational independent day school, enrolling 645 students in preschool through grade 12. St. Andrew’s 19-acre Postoak Campus has been enhanced in recent years with the addition of the 43,000 square foot Student Center and Izzo Quadrangle (2016) and 31,000 square foot Lower School (2019).
St. Andrew’s faculty and staff uphold a powerfully innovate, positive culture that challenges and supports one of the most broadly diverse student bodies in greater Washington. The school seeks growth-minded, highly motivated, collaborative leaders that will continue the school’s growth and focus on the development of each student’s and employee’s full potential. Through its Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning (www.thecttl.org), St. Andrew’s has become a global leader in Mind, Brain, and Education (MBE) Science, including training thousands of educators worldwide and cultivating a research-based approach to teaching and learning throughout St. Andrew’s.
As an Episcopal School, we seek to express the faith and perspective of the Episcopal Church in out chapel life, commitment to service-learning, religion curriculum, and in the overall character of our community. We strive to be an inclusive and hospitable community that welcomes and respects students and families from all faiths, including those who identify with no particular faith tradition.
Qualifications: Candidates should have earned an advanced degree and have completed at least five years of relevant administrative experience in an educational setting. General flexibility, good humor, and strong communication and collaboration skills are also essential. We encourage interested candidates to find out more about the school by visiting our website www.saes.org
. To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume, and list of three references by November 15 to:
Head of School
Job Description: The Head of Middle School supervises grades 6, 7 and 8 and reports directly to the Head of School. The Head of Middle School advances the school’s mission and strategic initiatives in the following ways:
- Promotes a supportive, inclusive, and positive Middle School culture, including the well-being of Middle School students, faculty, and staff.
- Supervises the Middle School academic, extracurricular, and advisory programs, including alignment of those programs with the Lower and Upper Schools.
- Supervises Middle School divisional meetings, special events, trips, and ceremonies, including end-of-year events.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Head of School and master scheduler, determines faculty, student, and divisional schedules and responsibilities.
- Collaborates with department heads and other academic administrators to supervise and evaluate the Middle School faculty and administrative staff. Directly supervises and evaluates the following individuals: Middle School Dean of Student,Middle School Administrative Assistant, Middle School Academic Deans
- Ensures excellent instruction and strong and regular communication among Middle School faculty and staff, students, and families.
- Supervises student-related policies and disciplinary processes and decisions in collaboration with the Middle School Dean of Students.
- Approves Middle School updates to the student/parent handbooks and course selection handbook.
- Supervises the Middle School budget.
- Serves as a member of the Academic Team and Division Heads group.
- Participates in the recruitment and retention of Middle School students as guided by the Director of Enrollment Management, including representing the Middle School at admission events and serving on the Middle School Admission Committee.
- Leads the Middle School Support Team - comprised of the MS Dean of Students, MS Academic Deans, School Counselor, School Nurse, and MS/US Chaplain - in creating and implementing support plans for individual student needs.
- Works closely with Department Chairs to review and enhance Middle School curriculum.
- Serves as Academic Dean for one Middle School grade and teaches one section of an academic class.
- Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of School or the Assistant Head of School.
Consistent with the values of an Episcopal school, St. Andrews is committed to a diverse and inclusive community with respect to race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status, economic circumstance, age, and physical disability in its student body, faculty and staff. Pursuant to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, St. Andrews does not discriminate in the administration of admission, financial aid or loan practices, educational or other school-sponsored programs and activities, or in the hiring or terms of employment of faculty and staff, except that the Chaplain shall be a member of the clergy of the Episcopal Church.