These are a few resources to provide guidance for parent(s)/guardian(s) with an overview of racial inequity, bias, and identity development and its impact on learning and society. The resources provided below have been taught, read, or otherwise utilized by the St. Andrew’s DEI Team, faculty, and students at St. Andrew’s.
As you begin, ask yourself what you can do? Here are a few principles that might guide further inquiry and learning:
- Resist asking People of Color to explain what is happening to them and how they feel. Educate yourself first.
- Pausing to acknowledge your own state of mind and/or emotions is a critical first step. Journaling is an effective tool that can help you with this. You can use the following prompts created by NewsEla to get started.
- What am I observing in the news?
- How are these events making me feel?
- How are these events impacting my family, friends, and community?